I wakes up early this morning to get ready to bake my long overdue Tish Boyle's Luxe pound cake. But when I opened my pantry cupboard to take out the cake flour, OMIGOSH!!!....... I have ran out of cake flour! What should I do? So, I thought I change my mind to bake a Chiffon Cake instead. No....no....not yet.... suddenly I remembered that I can make my own cake flour. Yes!!
Usually when I have set my mind to make and bake something, I usually will give it a thorough study on the recipe and the step by step to avoid any blunder in the last minute. I never thought I have ran out of cake flour. Lucky for me previously I have came across from one blog advising that we can make our own cake flour.
I loves Tish Boyle's Pound Cake. The previous Plainly Perfect Pound Cake I have made is so delicious even my neighbour has gave good praise in it too.
After bookmarked this Luxe Pound Cake for quite awhile, only today I made it. Shirley of @kokken has made this cake serve with Kumquat Compote but at this time of the year, I don't think I can't find kumquat at all unless I have planted it. So I made some Strawberry Syrup to serve with this cake.
LUXE POUND CAKE WITH STRAWBERRY COMPOTE SYRUP
The Pound Cake adapted from Shirley of @kokken
- 342g cake flour ***
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 227g unsalted butter
- 330g caster sugar
- 7 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 240 ml heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
2. Place softened butter in a mixer fitted with a paddle fixture. Cream butter at medium
low speed. Add sugar in 3 separate additions, allowing sugar to be incorporated with
butter after each addition. The butter should be creamy and pale after all sugar has been
3. Add eggs one at a time, allowing the egg to be mixed well with the butter after each
4. Add vanilla extract.
5. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 portions, alternating each
addition with a portion of the heavy cream until all flour is added.
6. Pour batter into a lined/ buttered pound cake pan.
7. Bake at 160C for 50mins or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
8. Cool down cake to room temperature before turning out the cake carefully from the
Note/Tips : ***
If you have run out of cake flour in your last minute of baking, here is the emergency solutions.
For every 1 cup of all purpose flour, minus out 2 tbsps and add 2 tbsp corn flour in it. Sift the flour 2-3 times.
And you can have Cake Flour......
Strawberry Compote Syrup
100g fresh or frozen strawberry
50g – 60g sugar
1. Put both ingredients in a small pot and boil till syrup slightly thicken.
The pound cake is indeed delicious but heavenly delicious serve with this Strawberry
This Luxe Pound Cake is one of my keeper's now!