Butter Chicken is the all time favourites among adults and children as I got to know this dish when I was staying in NZ few years back. My niece loves this Butter Chicken very much. When my brother-in-law ordered this dish in one of the foodcourt in Auckland, the first look at it, I thought it was really nothing special in it as it does look normal kind of curry like but after I tasted it, it is indeed very yummy.
I've tried to search and search for this Butter Chicken recipes and there are so many in the website and each recipes called for different types of ingredients. And this is my first Butter Chicken I'm cooking. I believe there will be more Butter Chicken I will be cooking.
This recipe adapted from A Daily Obsession
Easy Butter Chicken
1-1.5kg deboned chicken
1 brown onion, chopped finely
4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
2.5 cm piece of ginger, grated and 5 cm piece ginger, in thin julienne strips
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
150ml thickened cream
1 cup water
3 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp veg oil
1. Put the onion, garlic, grated ginger, lemon juice, chili powder, paprika and 2 teaspoon of garam masala
into a food processor, adding 1 to 2 tablespoon of water to make a paste.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and pan fry the chicken, in batches if necessary, until browned on all
sides. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the butter plus 1 tbsp oil to a pot large enough for the ingredients. Add the spice paste and fry 5 to 10
minutes until oil starts to separate from the paste. Add the water, tomato paste, sugar and salt and let
sauce simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the ginger strips, cream and chicken and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
5. Garnish with spring onion or coriander. Serve hot with steamed rice.
I will try to cook for another version of Butter Chicken until I find the right one. Hopefully I be able to get the right recipe!!