When I first saw Wendy of Table for 2 ....or more posting this Brussels Sprouts on her blog, I thought I won't be able to cook and taste it because brussels sprouts selling here is costly. A punnet is about $11.00.
I came to love brussels sprouts when I stayed in NZ for a short period of time. That time, it is my ex who cook this for me. But I was sooooooo happy when I was in for a bargain the other day. I bought a punnet for only $1.80!! Can you believe that??
Today, I am more than happy that I can have my brussels sprouts and have tried for Wendy's recipes. She is also a guest host at Quaypo Cooks for this recipes.
Brussels Sprouts With Walnuts
Adapted from Wendy of Table of Two....or more with slight changes
150gm Brussels sprouts
½ Tbsp butter
¼ tsp salt
10 walnuts or more, chopped
½ Tbsp butter
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon/lime juice
1. Wash and trim brussel sprouts. Cut into half lengthwise and slice thinly.
2. In a cold pan, on medium heat put in butter. When butter starts to melt, turn
heat to low. (don’t wait for fully melted).
3. Put in sliced brussel sprouts and spread it around. Do not toss them. Just
leave it there for 1 minute. After that, lightly toss it and cook until slightly
wilted. Put in salt and toss it. Taste to see if it’s salty enough and to check its
doneness. Should be crispy but cooked. (If it taste sulphurous, it’s overcooked.)
Place cooked brussel sprouts into a serving plate.
4. In the same pan, put in butter and chopped walnuts.
5. On low heat, sauté hazelnuts until they are very very slightly golden (you will
notice it is no longer as white but turns to a cream colour). Put in sugar and
cook until the sugar melts.
6. Pour walnuts and all that is in the pan over brussel sprouts.
7. Pour lemon/lime juice over just before serving.
I have used walnuts here as I don't have hazelnuts.......