But after looking at Lisa H. cooked this delicious Nyonya Kari Kapitan has made me to brave myself to cook this eventhough I have never ever done this before. I gone through the ingredients for this recipe and know what, I don't really know what is "galangal" and hee.... I have to google search. When I was at the wet market, I have to double confirm with the vegetable seller, is this "galangal"/blue ginger?
But wow, this Kari Kapitan is really indeed very delicious! We go for a second plate of rice with this Kari Kapitan. And what's more, it taste even more better the next day!
Nyonya Kari KapitanRecipe from From My Lemony Kitchen
1 kg of drumsticks (I mix with drumsticks & chicken wings)
1 tbsp tumeric powder
Oil for deep frying
250ml coconut milk
1 tbsp finely chopped kaffir lime leaves
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp lime juice
1 big brown onion
1 cm tumeric
2 stalks lemongrass
15 dried chillies (cut and soaked till soft)
20gm belacan granules
1/4 cup oil
Salt to taste
1. Marinate chicken with tumeric powder and salt for at least 2 hours (best if overnight).
2. Deep fry the chicken pieces until golden.
3. Dish out and put aside.
4. Blend all the spice ingredients into fine paste.
5. Heat about 3-4 tbsp of oil in wok and saute the spice paste until its fragrant and the oil
6. Add in chicken and cook in medium heat for about 5 minutes.
7. Add coconut milk, brown sugar and kaffir lime leaves.
8. Season to taste.
9. Simmer at least 10 minutes or till the chicken is tender.
10. Add lime juice and mix well.
11. Dish out and garnish with any extra kaffir lime leaves and serve!
This Kari Kapitan is not spicy at all! Of course, I will cook this again!