24 hard-boiled quail eggs
4 fresh red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
3 dried chilli, soaked till it turn soft, cut into pieces
1/2 tbsp shrimp paste, (belacan)
2 candlenuts or macadamia nuts
4 tbsp oil
1 tbsp tamarind paste + 1/2 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 small brown onion, thinly sliced
1. Deep fry the quail eggs in hot oil until golden brown and crisp.
2. Mix the tamarind paste with water. Set aside.
3. Combine fresh red chilli, dried chilli, shallots, garlic, shrimp paste and candlenuts together in a
food process and process until it forms a fine paste.
4. Heat oil in a wok, add the paste and fry under low heat until it's aromatic, about 8-10 minutes.
5. Add the tamarind juice to the paste together with sugar and salt. Stir and mix well.
6. Add brown onion and continue to stir fry until the onion has soften a little but still have slight texture,
around 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the deep-fried quail eggs and give it a good stir.
8. Serve hot with steamed rice.