Blogger Widgets

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Garibaldi Biscuit

Have you heard of a biscuits called " squashed fly biscuits"Yes?  No?  What about "Garibaldi biscuits"?  No?  And what about "Raisins biscuits or sultanas biscuits" then?  Yes, right?  Raisins/Sultanas biscuits are quite common for us here and we used to eat this and commonly sold at the supermarkets.

Well, squashed fly biscuits or Garibaldi biscuits or Raisins biscuits they all are the same. This biscuit also exist under different names in other countries.

You can find more information on Garibaldi biscuits here (Wikipedia).



Garibaldi Biscuits
Recipe sourced from Emma of Poires au Chocolat
Original Recipe from Delia Online
(Makes 16)

Ingredients
110g plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
big pinch of fine sea salt
25g unsalted butter, cold
25g caster sugar + bit extra to sprinkle
1 egg
3 tbsp milk
100g raisins
zest of ¼ lemon 


Method
Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Line a big baking tray with baking parchment. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Chop the butter into cubes then add to the bowl and rub in. Stir in the caster sugar. In a bowl or mug whisk the egg yolk and milk together, then add to the bowl and gently mix in just until the dough comes together. Use your hand to bring it into a ball.

Dust the worktop with plenty of flour then place the mix in the middle and dust again. Roll out to a rectangle of roughly 7 x 11" or 20 x 30 cm, using more flour when needed. Tip the fruit onto one half and zest the 1/4 lemon on top. Spread the fruit out into an even layer so it covers half the dough. Fold the other half over the fruit. Check it hasn't stuck to the surface, dusting again if needed. Roll out to 7 x 11" or 20 x 30 cm again.

Trim the sides with a sharp knife so you have a clean rectangle then cut into two lengthways. Cut each strip into 8, so you have 16 small strips. Transfer to the baking sheet. Brush the tops with some of the egg white (you'll only use a small amount) then sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar. Bake for 14-16 minutes until deep golden brown. 

Cool on a wire rack.



                             These biscuits not only so good and they are so easy to make.  

 






I'm linking this post for Cook Like A Star hosted
 by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours, Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Mich of Piece of Cake. 

27 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of these biscuits before but they look good and I think I'll like the crusty sugary top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squashed fly sounds funny and not particularly appetizing lol! I only knew them as raisin biscuits and remember enjoying them. Wish yours were right in front of me for me to dunk a few pieces with my coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, is this the same as the local raisin biscuits we can get from the sundry shop or supermarket? I used to love those biscuits and have already forgotten about them until I saw this! I must try it because someone in my house loves raisins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, you are right, this biscuits are similarly to the ones that sold in the sundry shops...which we used to eat. I never knew that we can easily make this at home too.

      Delete
  4. The recipe seems easy enough, I can understand why these are called squashed fly with the raisins looking like flies from afar lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Raisin biscuits and my cookies monster too. I would like to try this recipe,thank you Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, no & yes, yeah, this is exactly what I will answer as well. This can be very addictive to eating, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad my kids didn't appreciate raisin, but I love it, can pass me few of your biscuits?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mel, at first the name dont sound familiar to me, but after seeing your photo I know which biscuits u r talking about. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The name sounds familiar and fancy, didn't think they were these simple raisin biscuits. Looks yummy. Might be great with other types of dried fruit too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These biscuits look so tasty! I have been looking for recipes with raisins lately so I can use mine up. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heh heh, I felt like a mountain tortoise when u asked the first few questions but smirked when it came to raisin biscuits.l. Yeah..... Finally I know one... Like the Kg brand one? This is a cool recipe Mel Mel! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mel,

    Squashed fly biscuits? Flies!!! Sounds quite yucky to me! I hate flies!!!

    I think I prefer the name Garibaldi biscuits or Raisins biscuits and from your picture, they don't look like squashed flies to me! Just nice and delicious raisins biscuits :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel,

      I didn't know that this recipe originates from Delia Smith until you linked your post with CLAS. No wonder, these biscuits look and sound yummy!

      Zoe

      Delete
  14. It's interesting to know raisins biscuits goes by so many interesting names.. I'd sure love some of your garibaldi biscuits with coffee right now ^^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love raisins in the biscuits. Perfect company for a tea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mel,
    I used to love eating these biscuits when I was younger. Have heard of Garilbaldi or Raisin biscuits but not the name squashed flies!
    Your biscuits looks wonderful, just like store-bought! Great job! The perfect snack!
    You are welcome to link your post to our Cook Like A Star event where we are having our All-Stars Anniversary Party, and Delia Smith is one of the featured chefs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these biscuits too! Never knew it can be so easily made...

    ReplyDelete
  18. my mum likes these kind of raisin biscuits, maybe i shall try making this some day since it is not a big recipe , thx!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed my first visit to your blog very much.
    The recipes look and sound delightful and the pics are great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember raisins biscuits from my childhood! bookmarked your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post, It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL... never heard of squashed fly biscuits before, garibaldi-yes :)
    Come to think of it...it sure looks like the earlier ....
    I loved this, used to eat when I was young and ate nearly a baldi or two too when I was studying in the UK ;P

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mel,
    These are my favorite biscuits! I love the raisin in it!
    Your clicks simply looks awesome!
    Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    mui

    ReplyDelete