Blogger Widgets

Tuesday 9 August 2016

Ricotta Bombolini

I'm a big fan of Australia Masterchef and My Kitchen Rules and so does my sister.  By just watching these shows you can learn so much of the different type techniques in preparing and cooking the dishes.  It is just feeling wonderful by just watching the contestants cooking....

Last year when Emma & Jane of MKR presented their dessert to the judges, the judges gave good praises to their Bombolini (I never ever heard of Bombolini that time).  Well, Bombolini or Bombolone is an Italian filled sweet dessert similarly like doughnut balls.  

I have bookmarked this recipe since that episode was aired last year and only today I got the mood to make it!  Because for this, I specially had to make my homemade ricotta.



Ricotta Bombolini (Ricotta Doughnut)
Recipe adapted from MKR Recipes


Ingredients

112g plain flour
50g caster sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
250g ricotta cheese or Homemade ricotta
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Vegetable Oil for deep frying
Caster sugar or icing sugar to coat


Method

Sift the plain flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.  Add in the sugar.  Stir to combined and set aside.

Gently in stir in the eggs, ricotta and vanilla.  Mix till all combined.   Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 - 40 minutes.

In a heavy deep medium saucepan, add and heat up the oil about 4" deep high in your saucepan (enough to allow your bombolini to float in your saucepan).

Drop a tablespoon of the mixture into the heated oil and fry in batches.  Fry till crisp and golden brown; and cooked through. 

Drain on absorbent paper. 
In this stage, you can roll your bombolini in caster sugar or once the bombolini cool down a bit, just lightly dust and coat with icing sugar.







One thing good about this recipe is, you don't need the yeast and wait for hours and hours to proof the mixture.  And yet resulted so soft and fluffy.



These Bombolini (doughnut balls) are so delicious and yummy!  Can you see the texture is so soft, light, moist and fluffy?  I wish I can share this out together with you but I can't, so you got to make this yourself.  







A Courtesy note:
My photos here though are not professional photos but please do not download it and use it without my consent.  Thank you!



5 comments:

  1. I have not tasted ricotta and wonder if the flavor is strong. For sure I know I will like doughnut balls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splish splash.. that's me drooling over the screen ^^ll bombolini sounds and looks totally scrumptious! You are so hardworking, mel.. making the ricotta from scratch, and deep frying the batter! But also too mean, to say we have to make this ourselves, sigh ^^ll you know i can't deep fry....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely can try deep frying ... probably time to get the deep fryer or air fryer then you wont have to worry oil splitter splatter to your delicate hands .... hahaha. And air fryer is more healthier !

      Delete
    2. You definitely can try deep frying ... probably time to get the deep fryer or air fryer then you wont have to worry oil splitter splatter to your delicate hands .... hahaha. And air fryer is more healthier !

      Delete
  3. Hi Mel, your ricotta bombolini looks awesome! Althought I haven't had them before but I am sure they taste fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete