Blogger Widgets

Tuesday 1 December 2015

Pumpkin Steamed Buns / Pumpkin Xi Pan

Wow.... it has been months I have not updated my blog.  I guess I wasn't as active like before and I know some of you have long forgotten who is Mel of Through The Kitchen Door already.

It is not that I have not done any new recipes to try out, it just I haven't found myself up to do anything else and some failure in my try out recipes which resulted making me feeling down .... see I don't even know what am I talking about here... !

Well, my post for December 2015, is Pumpkin Xi Pan.  This is my 2nd time try out as the 1st time the dough is too  wet resulting too difficult to handle to shape it round at all.  So this time I make sure I won't over steamed the pumpkin.    






Pumpkin Steamed Buns (Xi Pan / Hee Pan)
Recipe adapted from My Little Favourite DIY

Ingredients: 

Sponge dough:  
80g plain flour  
1 tsp instant yeast  
75ml water

120g pumpkin
60g glutinous rice flour  
30g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder  
50g sugar  
2 tbsp cooking oil

some banana leaves or greased proof paper ( cut into round shape)




Method 

In a medium bowl, combined the Sponge dough ingredients together and mixed well. 
Cover with plastic wrap and let proof for 1 – 2 hours.

Peel the pumpkin and cut into small size and steamed till soft. Mashed into
puree.

After the sponge dough done in proofing, scatter in the baking powder and mixed to combine. Then add in the rest of the main dough ingredients (glutinous rice, plain flour, sugar, oil and mashed pumpkin) and knead into a smooth and soft dough. 
Brush a thin layer of oil on the surface of the dough and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Roll the the dough long and divide into 30g each.
Shape it round then flatten it a little and place on a greased round banana leaf.
Let it proof for another 20 minutes.

Steam over medium high heat for 10 minutes.

 

Note: The dough might be quite soft and sticky. Oil your hand while kneading or use disposal ploythene gloves or a plastic spatula to help to manage this sticky dough.




                                   Love this pumpkin buns as it is so soft and fluffy







4 comments:

  1. Mmmm... these yummies look so pillowy soft and fluffy! Since i can't make them, i will imagine myself being invited for tea and having a piece or two ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel, I've not forgotten about you . Infact I've been MIA for more than a year too ! LOL But I'm glad to be back & glad that you did the same . I've tried making pumpkin Xi Pan but fail big too . These steamed buns look great to me . Maybe I've steamed mine a bit too long .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mel,

    No that we won't forget you... I know it is difficult to keep blogging but I wish that you won't stop :p

    Nice xi pan... keep steaming, munching plus blogging :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete