Blogger Widgets

Friday 8 November 2013

"Angku Kuih"

I had wanted to try my hands to make "Angku Kuih" for quite some time eventhough wasn't really prepare to do it any soon.  Since my dad pluck some banana leaves for me few days ago so just make use of it.

Really, I would have called myself looking for extra work to do as this Angku Kuih, I can buy it at the shop easily for just $0.50 per piece.  But sometimes when you food blogging, looking at others making it so beautifully, it just motivate you to do so.  But hopefully in the end process, I won't complain of aching here and there, looking for trouble just to make this kuih where I can buy it easily....lol.


ANGKU KUIH
Recipe from Agnes Chang’s Hawkers’ Delights
(I half the recipe here and makes only 15 pieces, with mould of 5cm long)

Dough Skin
50g rice flour, mixed with 210ml water & 3 ½ tbsp oil, stirred and boiled, till thick in texture, cooled
300g glutinous rice flour
Few drops of orange red colouring
Enough water to mix into dough

Filling
150g green beans without skin, washed, soaked for 4 hours, steamed and mashed
2 tbsp oil
3 shallots, flattened
100g sugar
¼ tsp salt

Banana leaf, cut into oval shape
½ cup oil, for brushing the skin

Method
Filling : Heat up oil, stir fry sliced shallots till golden brown.  Discard shallots.  Add in the mashed green beans, sugar, salt and stir fry until it can leave the side of pan.  Remove and leave to cool.  Form  into small balls (approx. 13g per ball).

Skin : Mix and knead all ingredients until it forms into a pliable dough.  Divide the dough to 17g per ball.

Wrap up 1 part of filling with 1 part of skin, press into the Angku mould and knock out.  Line with a piece of greased banana leaf and steam with high heat for 3-5 minutes.

Remove and brush the Angku kuih with oil.


*  You can visit Jessie - Cooking Moments which she uses the same ingredient recipe too.


                                                  Ready to go into the steamer.


                              After steamed...... brushed surface with some oil.



I find the filling a bit dry....probably oil is not enough when frying it.








18 comments:

  1. Thumbs up to your AKK Mel. They look really pretty. I loved how the colour changes after steaming. What food colouring did you use? Hey, great idea of using the coconut shell as a prop, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica
      I used the normal red colouring....I used 3 drops only. In fact, after steaming the AKK looks in pinkish in colour.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful presentation and lovely AKK, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mel, these few days I have also been thinking of AKK but when I think of frying the mung bean, feel a bit sian, hahaha! Your pink AKK look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Akk look very cute & nice ~ like it so much .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love angku kuih! But good ones are so hard to come by these days.. so there's nothing like homemade ones like yours ^^ I love how you showed them off in the coconut shells ~ so pretty ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mel, love the beautiful colour and your presentation ! Very creative !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes share the same feelings about 'looking for work to do'. But i guess homemade ones are never the same, ours have this special ingredient call love :)) Your AKK looks very good for a first timer, well done Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel, Well done!!!! Your AKK design look clear and beautiful not like mine, hehe,,,,
    I also love your presentation very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful angku kuih! Perfectly made!
    I have always wanted to try making my own too, have to get the mould first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning Mel, Your akk look very pretty.! Love the red colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mel,
    Can I have a piece of your pretty in red angku kueh :D
    Those are perfectly made angkus!

    A tips here for getting a not too dry filling. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of water onto the mung bean before steaming. Like this you will get softer steamed mung bean, it is easier to mash and will produce a moist and smooth filling too.
    Have a lovely Sunday!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa....I LOVE!!! Haven't eaten this in a long time. My favourite is the peanut one! Looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any frozen ones for me to vacuum pack?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your ang ku kuehs are so beautifully done and I am sure is totally worth the effort in making!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mel, your angku kueh turned out very well. I made it once with my auntie but I find it too troublesome. But well done, you took the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely! lovely! it is indeed tiring making ang ku....making the filling and then process the dough..some people do think it's crazy making ang ku at home after all we can get them so easily here...but cant help it, we 're crazy and just want to try everything..yes! most of the time motivation comes from fellow bloggers too!

    ReplyDelete