Blogger Widgets

Sunday 10 February 2013

PORK JERKY (BAK KWA) 肉干

During CNY, pork jerky is one of the delicacy that some of us would like to have.  But now, pork jerky is getting more and more expensive, every year the price will increased.    I never knew that we can make pork jerky (or Bak Kwa 肉干) at home.  Isn't that great?  

And moreover what we are going to make at home is the baked and grilled in the oven and not through the BBQ! That is the relieve to me.

When I told my Sister S that I am going to make Pork Jerky, the next thought in her mind is, are you going to set fire outside to BBQ it?  I am sure if you intend to make this and when you tell it to your family you are going to make it, the next instinct the remarks from them would be "Why go all the trouble.... blah blah and later you have to set the BBQ pit to grill it?"

When I saw Sonia of NasiLemakLover  made this Pork Jerky last year, I was really amazed that this can be made at home and also lately few bloggers has made it too! 



Homemade Chinese Pork Jerky (Bak Kwa) 肉干
(recipe source from Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 9pcs, perfectly for a tray size 13”x13” (4mm height)

Ingredients
450g minced pork (at least with 10% fat)
 
100g sugar
1tbsp light soy sauce

1/2tbsp Chinese rice wine 
1/2tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp dark caramel sauce  
1/8 tsp Chinese five spices powder  (I didn't add this)
A dash of Pepper
1/2 tsp-3/4tsp salt or to taste
2 tbsp honey

Method
 
1. Put all ingredients in a big bowl and start mixing them with a pair of chopsticks. Blend and
    stir the mixture in one direction until the meat becomes gluey 
    (very important to stir till gluey otherwise meat will break out). Store in the fridge for 
    several hours.  
2. Spread the marinated minced pork thinly onto the baking tray (using fingers to spread).
3. Bake at pre-heated oven at 160C for 15 - 20mins. Remove from oven. Increase the oven
    temperature to 240c.  
4. Wait to slightly cool, cut into your desired size and shape using scissor, knife or pizza
     cutter, place them in the same baking tray.  
5. Grill (top heat only) one side at 240C for 10mins, remove from oven, flip over another
     side, wait oven back to 240C and grill for 7mins or until golden brown with slight burnt.  

6. Once done, let it cool and enjoy!

**you may store Bak Kwa (at stage 4) in the freezer for later consume. Defrost and grill (stage 5) before serve. It will be even taste perfect if you charcoal grill it. Adjust your oven temperature accordingly, you know your oven better !!

* My tray is 12" x 12" so a little thick in slices.



My Pork Jerky is a little char and burnt.... I guess 240C grilling for 10 minutes is a little too high temperature and too long for grilling!  Will adjust the temperature next time!

BUT.....nevertheless of course, ohhhh.....so delicious and yummy!  So much like the store bought and without the MSG!!


Are you drooling looking at this?  Well, I am...........slurppppp !!
Oh, you don't like pork?  You can try with chicken too!


Thank you Sonia once again for this delicious recipe!



I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by







26 comments:

  1. Hi Mel, Happy new Year to you and family. Gong Xi Fa Cai.

    Your bak kwa look superb, very professional. Yum yum it look really good.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mel, i've marinated the meat and will be baking another batch tmrw! yours looking just as good ! Happy chinese new year to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bak kwa looks great. I am sure it taste even better than the one bought outside. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel! My daughter loves this so much. My Mum-in-law insists that we buy it from people we know to make sure that it is clean. You make it sound so simple. I will definitely try to to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel, I am drooling!!! Yours look like store bought. I also want to try later. Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel, 祝你新年快乐,万事如意!恭喜恭喜!
    Happy Lunar New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel, Pandainya!!!!!These Bak Kwa looks perfect,I just can't stop drooling....yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy CNY, Mel!

    Gong Xi Fa Cai and wishing you best of luck, good health, happiness and everything!

    This recipe works very well for me too and we love it. We will never buy bak kwa again... homemade is good!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mel, Oh Yes, I'm drooling just by looking all the yummilicious pictures! These bak kwa looks great to me! Now I wanted to make some too! Gong Xi Faa Cai ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh.. Just like the real thing! Very drool-licious! It' interesting to know Bak Kwa is do-able or hime ^^ you did great, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bak kwa looks good, I am gonna make my own next year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mel! Happy Lunar New Year! WIshing you good health and prosperity in the year of the snake!

    You Bak Kwa looks thick and juicy!

    BTW, I sent you a snap shot of the packet Gnocchi that I bought from the supermarket. Check your mailbox..

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband LOVES this. I just drooled too, by looking at this! I remember this from Sonia's site. I'm sending this link to see if my husband wants to make this. I like homemade snack like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These pork jerky looks ready great!
    Happy CNY!!!
    You know, your recipe index or tab has nothing list on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this treat. I see many are making them lately....they are on my to try list but I haven't got a chance to do so as my kids are off from school for a LOOOng weekend. hahaa...Yours looks so good with a little bit charred on the edges. That's how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made these yummy treats for CNY too and they are the first item to be eaten up! Not surprise at all! Yours looks delicious and some of my relatives actually asked me to grill mine a bit charred!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mel, These are the hi-lite among all the CNY goodies! I made about 3kg, recipe slightly different from yours, and spent several hours on making these bak kwa! A total success! Everything finished in three days, not a piece leftover! I even have a few requests to make more next year!
    How was your CNY? Hope you had a great one with your family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gong Xi Fa Cai, Mel
    Love Bak Kua... made some every year with either chicken mince or beef :D
    tasted good :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the charred bits! I haven't made bak kwa yet this year, and after seeing your pics, I'm tempted to do so this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. such a beautiful post you have

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! I recently just started a youtube Korean food channel, EasyKoreanFood, where you can learn how to make fast & easy Korean food! It would mean the world to me if you could check it out because I'm just starting out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been wanting to make this but have not yet done so. I will after I finished those given to me for CNY. Your bak kua looks so professional. Good job my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your shout out Mel..Happy Chap Goh Meh to you .

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hear it's very easy to make...but I'm not going to bother as I've so many packets given to me by friends, all stuffed in the fridge and eating them slowly. You name it, I have it! *show-off mode* Hehehehehehe!!!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog - I've linked you in my blogroll. Do come again...and a Happy Chap Goh Meh to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. P.S. Your bak kua looks really good - like those at the shops, true and true.

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks like restaurant made dear.. fabulous..
    Kitchen designs

    ReplyDelete