Blogger Widgets

Sunday 21 October 2012

Chocolate Checkerboard Cake

It is my dad's birthday today and I have baked him a Chocolate Checkerboard Cake!  

I hope this cake is not too much for him having with loads of eggs, butter, as well as having chocolate for topping.
 


Being a first timer baking this checkerboard, I can say is not too bad ..... eventhough it is not really that perfect, not well trim off the edges,  not well smoothen on the sides with buttercream,  but at least I have made a birthday cake for dad.

Well about the recipe for this cake, I am a little lazy typing out the recipe ingredients and method but do hop over to Masam Manis and her tutorial photos on how to cut out the rings and assemble the cake.  Her cake is so neat and perfect.

But if anyone wants to know more on the recipe, let me know and I shall try to translate it out to English and type it out for you..... but now I need a rest after doing this cake ....LOL... 
 






When cutting out the rings from the layer cake, really need your delicate hand to take it out (with cautious tender care than handling a baby), or else the ring will break.  But no worries, you can always patch it up with the buttercream and no one will know it was broken half way the ring.



The steps to bake this cake are .........

1)  Make & bake the plain sponge
2)  Make & bake the chocolate sponge

3)  Make buttercream
4)  Cut the cakes into layers, and from layers cut to 3 rings
5)  Start assemble the cake, spread buttercream
6And finally...make chocolate topping..... and pour over to cake
7)  Decorate cake

Phew!  Was that easy?  Hee.....hee......



My dad said it is delicious and I was relieved........



Will I make this cake again?  Of course....mmm....maybe....  if I feel or have the mood again but I would like to try another method of making the sponge cake and the buttercream next time.

  

15 comments:

  1. happy birthday, uncle! you must be so blessed to have such a thoughtful and loving daughter ^^ who baked a "lots-of-work" cake just for you ^^ most people (ok, lazys like me) would have run a mile.. you are so well-loved ^^ well done, mel! (^^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hui for your sweet compliments! I always enjoyed baking cakes and cookies so this is why I don't mind the "lots of work". BUT, I dreaded myself lazy in cooking up lunch or dinner! Funny, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Mel, this cake is on my list to do ...I just bought the checker cake tins from Bali and not yet open the box. Ok ok ...I'm going to read the instructions now and try to make this as soon. Thanks for sharing this. I'm sure everyone at home enjoyed this lovely cake very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Li Shuan
      I am waiting to see your checkerboard cake and I believe as usual it will turn out very beautiful from your "magic hand"... Yes, this cake is delicious, sponge, buttercream and chocolate ganache, no one dare to ask extra things to add in to the cake.

      Delete
  3. It's really very pretty.
    Love the shiny ganache.
    I think if time permits, chill the cake thoroughly before cutting and lifting, it helps a lot.
    When I made mine, I didn't chill and it wasn't easy to handle.
    Happy belated birthday to Uncle Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wendy
      Thank you for your sweet compliments!
      Yes, I have came across your Checkerboard cake and came across someone have made this cake too. I would like to make your buttercream recipe next time. And thanks for your greeting wishes to my dad!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Mel, very pretty birthday cake! I can never make a cake like this, too challenging to me,hahaha! Happy birthday to uncle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessie
      I guess if you want to attempt to make this, you have to make this one or two days in advance to avoid 'blunder'....hee!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to your Dad, Mel. Many more to come. How lucky he is to have such a beautiful cake. The icing, especially, looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Adora,
      This cake is delicious though it is not perfect in looking. I am incomparable anywhere to you Adora.

      Delete
  6. Mel, the cake looks super yummy! Love the shiny chocolate coating and the checkerboard look! Aiyo, so much work lah but worth the work to give your dad a special birthday cake. Happy belated birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong,
      Yes I just loves the chocolate ganache....because I am a chocolate lover. Hmm....as long as everyone happy eating this cake and this will makes me a happy person too! I'm sure you feel the same too if your family and friends enjoyed your home cooked food and cakes.

      Delete
  7. Hi Mel, your checker cake look so pretty and delicious. The chocolate coating look very good, smooth and shinny. Yummy!

    The checker pan actually quite expensive but if not use often, not worth to buy. I didn't buy the checker pan cos make once in a blue moon only.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amelia
    I'm not that pleased with this cake.....I will try again next time. You are right, dont think it is necessary to buy that special pan unless you need to use it frequently. So we have to rajin a bit to cut the rings out. The first time i saw checkerboard in the site, i think it is so awesome and cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mel, I like your check board cake. Love your shinning ganache too. Must be really yummy..
    I recalled I have made a similar cake few month back but can't remember why I never post it...lol
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete