I have been so intrigue when Wendy of Table for 2....or more posted this recipe early last year during Chinese New Year. As we can only get hold of the Kumquat during the season (usually in Chinese New Year), I told myself that I must get hold of the Kumquat this year to make it.
Orange Cheesecake With Kumquat Compoteadapted from Wendy of Table for 2 .....or more
250gm cream cheese, softened
125gm sweetened condensed milk
60gm whipping cream
20gm corn starch
40gm cake flour
1 Tbsp orange zest
60ml fresh orange juice
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1. Prepare and line a springform pan. Wrap pan with aluminium foil to prevent water from seeping into the
baking pan. Please refer to Wendy's blog here of her photos how to wrap the baking pan if you do
not know how.
Preheat oven to 130C(fan)/150C
2. Sift the cornstarch and flour; set aside.
3. Mix orange juice and egg yolks, lightly beat for a while; set aside.
4. With a large spoon, beat cream cheese until smooth and put in condensed milk and mix until smooth.
Put in whipping cream and beat until smooth. Put in egg and beat until smooth. Put in sifted flour and mix
until smooth. Put in orange juice mixture and and zest and mix until smooth.
5. Beat egg whites until frothy. Put n cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks. Put in sugar gradually and beat
until stiff, and the peaks are softly hooked when whisk is turned upright.
6. Fold half of the beaten egg whites into the cheese mixture. Repeat with balance of whites.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and put the whole set of prepared pans into the oven. Pour boiling water
into the outer pan until it’s at least 1/3 the height of the inner pan. (Bain Marie bake).
8. Bake for 1 hour. Cool cake in oven (door ajar) for half an hour. Remove cake from oven and cool down
totally. Chill in fridge for 5 hours before serving. With a skewer/toothpick, poke cake to create at least 30
holes to absorb the syrup from the compote.
What I like this cheesecake is the flavour of the orange in the cheesecake, and most of all, is the Kumquat compote. I really loves the taste of it.
Though the cheesecake may not be that soft in texture after the next day, it is still yummy.
The more I munch, the more tastier it is felt in my mouth.