Red Velvet CakeThis delicious cake adapted from Bisousatoi
1 ¼ cup sifted cake flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp red colouring
¼ cup (abt 57g) soft unsalted butter
¾ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
½ tsp vinegar
½ tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. In a bowl, sieve flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder and red colouring and stir well until
form a paste.
4. Using a stand mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg
until blended. Add the vanilla extract and cocoa powder mixture. Beat until
5. Add in sifted flour and buttermilk alternately. Beginning and ending with
flour (F, M, F, M, F).
6. In a small bowl, combine vinegar and baking soda and add it to the batter.
Stir well with a spatula. Pour it into a 6” cake pan and bake it for 40-50 mins.
7. Once cool, slice cake into two and spread cream cheese frosting, spread all
over the cake too. Chill it for few hours.
Cream Cheese Frosting
125g cream cheese
50g unsalted butter
80g icing sugar
1 cup fresh cream, whipped until stiff
1. Beat cream cheese with butter until soft.
2. Turn mixer to low speed, add icing sugar a little at a time, whisk until well
3. Add whipped cream, stir through with a spatula.