There was a time I read an article, a famous well known singer commented that she will not eat Dim Sum at any restaurant because most the Dim Sum using lots of msg in it. No wonder Dim Sum is so tasty and delicious served in the restaurant!
This easy Lo Mai Kai I have adapted from NasiLemakLover. Thanks to her that I am able to cook this simple dish at home. I only uses half of the ingredients here makes about 9 small bowls.
Lo Mai Kai (Steamed Glutinous Rice With Chicken)
*makes 16 aluminium foil bowls
1kg glutinous rice, wash clean and soak for 4hours (do not need to soak overnight)
Marinate chicken and mushroom
20pcs Chinese dried mushrooms (soak in water to shorten, rinse few times)
650g of debone Chicken, cut small pieces
2 tbsp ginger juice
1½ tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp white pepper powder
2 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca flour
Seasonings for rice
4tbsp shallot oil
1/2tbsp sesame oil
2tbsp oyster sauce
3tbsp light soy sauce
3tbsp dark soy sauce
2 and 1/2tsp salt or to taste
1/2tsp white pepper powder
2 Chinese dried sausages , sliced and pan fried, set aside (optional). (I have omitted this out)
1. Rinse and drain chicken in hot water.
2. Mix all seasoning with chicken and mushroom in a bowl, set aside for 1 hour.
3. Mix all seasoning and water with drain glutinous rice in a rice cooker.
4. Cook glutinous rice in rice cooker and fluff the rice with a fork when rice is cooked.
5. To assemble Lo Mai Kai- place 1-2 pcs of chicken, mushroom and sausage in a aluminium bowl.
Cover with steamed glutinous rice.
6. Cover and steam Lo Mai Kai over medium high heat for 30 mins.
7. Turn out Lo Mai Kai on a plate and serve hot.